Nowadays it has become one of the main criteria (to me in any case) when visiting a restaurant or eatery on what they serve as a side order. I have a bit of an addiction. French fries. Jip, it’s those long elongated pieces of potatoes that are fried up in hot oil until they are crispy brown and served to compliment the main feature on your plate, whether it’s fish, steak, chicken and the list goes on.
But where did it all start? Well, the Belgiums claim the first fries to be their spark of genius, and so the story meander on until it landed on the global plate of just….. well…. fries! Who cares anyway? Naturally there are different variations to this salty bites of heaven and to each creator who makes them, adding something unique or peculiar. I had the privilege to experience some of these varieties first hand from saucy fries in Melbourne, criss-cross fries in Hong Kong, shoe-string fries in Dubai, curly fries in Thailand and the so everyone of us can recall their own love story with fries.
My favourite? Slap chips here in South Africa, made and prepared by the Portuguese lady in her Take Away Cafe around the corner. Doused with vinegar and lot’s of salt, makes slap chips (directly translated as limp fries or chips) a sure bet when the cravings kick in. Keeping my eyes peeled when visiting restaurants, I am always amazed at their preparation and presentation of this lovely side dish. Some prefer the oven baked way and some just go the traditional deep fried way. Personally, I love them deep fried. So, who in your community sells the best fries? Here is my list of top 5 servings of fries here in the capital of South Africa Pretoria:
- Marguerites Take Aways – They are based here in the city centre of Pretoria on the corner of Madiba & Bosman Street.
- Brewers BBQ – Situated in Rietfontein Pretoria, they offer lovely spiced fries. Check out their gourmet fries with bacon, blue cheese and so forth.
- No judgement!!!! MacDonalds – Something as sure as sun rise, they have lovely shoe string fries that never disappoints.
- Steers – Also a fast food chain, have never failed me when it comes to their beauties.
- Toni’s Fish & Chips Co. – Sells fresh well prepared fries that are decadent.
Whether it’s the Cafe on the corner or Gourmet french fries that’s your thing, we all have that one place that serves comfort food or fries at it’s best. Make sure to comment with your Slap Chips experience and share your hints of french-frie-grateness with the rest of the cyber foodie realm.